Monday 13 March 2006

Weather and Gardening

We've been having warm, wet weather lately. Today it got to up to 69 degrees (F). We're supposed to have high winds and possible thunderstorms tonight and the temperature is going to drop into the low 30s with a high tomorrow only in the high 30s.

If you've been here before, you might have noticed my new profile photo on the right. I shed some winter fur when the weather turned warm. Hopefully this spring and summer I'll be able to shed about 25 pounds of winter fat.

I planted lots of seeds Saturday and today - onions, celery, red and white cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, spinach and lettuce. I really like the lettuce mixes offered by Cook's Garden. This year I ordered the spring mix, summer mix, winter & fall mix, romaine mix and butterhead mix. With a little planning we can harvest a huge vartiety of lettuce almost year round. I also ordered some hardy greens from Johnny's for the first time this year - corn salad, kale, claytonia and minutina. We've never eaten these greens before but I really want to get away from winter supermarket lettuce. Four-Season Harvest by Eliot Coleman is an inspiring book on this subject.

weather today: 51°F/69°F rainy

tags: garden, lettuce, winter greens, four-season harvest, Eliot Coleman

No comments:

Post a Comment