Thursday 28 December 2006

Christmas At Liberty Farm

For us Christmas begins on December 25th and runs through January 5th so rather than saying we had a good Christmas, I will say that we are having a good Christmas. So far this week has seen more play and less work on my part but that's OK.

We did get the ram removed from the ewe flock and put back into the pen with our other ram. Their heads are a bit sore from reestablishing who's boss but we have them in a small enough pen that they're not able to get enough of a running start to hurt each other much. The ewe lambs are reunited with their mothers. Tomorrow I hope to get hay. My first source didn't pan out so I'm going to call my second source soon.

Yesterday we drove over to Roscoe Village in Coshocton, Ohio. It is a recreation of a canal town from the early 1800s. I picked up a neat little book - A Fine Poor Man's Country by M. Ruth Norton. The title comes from an excerpt from a letter printed in the preface:
...I would say that it is a fine poor man's country and if you ever come [to Ohio] now is the time...money is plenty...I have more boots to make now than I can make for two or three months and could not get any [apprentices] to hire this fall...any industrious man at any employment can make a decent living here if he should begin without one cent in his pocket.
-letter from John Boyd, shoemaker in Roscoe, Ohio to his cousin Hugh in Ireland

Here is a photo of me taken there.
I've always liked this beard style but my wife can't get over the Amish look. So I guess this was me for a day. Here a couple more photos from our daytrip. Have a blessed Christmas season and a happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment