Monday 1 February 2010

February 1, 2010

As I briefly mentioned last weekend, I split some of the elm. Saturday night my upper back and shoulders hurt...bad. All I could think was, "I'm too old for this shit." Anyway, I talked to an old guy at Tractor Supply who told me his secret - use a 12# maul. I only had an eight-pounder and had to swing that thing like a uniformed fascist putting the beat-down on a protester. So I bought a twelve pound maul and plan to split a little more tomorrow evening before it gets dark. I'll report back on how it goes.

Speaking of getting dark in the evenings, we are really beginning to notice the lengthening days here just south of the 41st parallel. It's still light after I finish the chores on weeknights (5:45ish).

We'll be weaning PorterHouse this month and we're not sure what we'll do with all the extra milk. We already make about 3-6 pounds of cheese each week. I guess I'll be going on a dairy diet.

No comments:

Post a Comment