Saturday 23 January 2010

January 23, 2010

We've spent our weekend so far stacking wood in the shed. This wood was bought from some local guys and from my brother-in-law. I've got some big pieces of elm that need split. My dad says there are two days a year cold enough in Vermont to split elm. I may have gotten in over my head. Good thing my father-in-law has a hydraulic splitter.

Yesterday I went up to repair a fence break and walked into the woods. With all the undergrowth dead and most of the snow off I saw quite a bit of wood down. My problem is I don't know the exact location of our southern property line and don't want to take wood from the neighbor without permission. So last night I got out the copy of our property survey and studied it. I know where the surveyors pin is on the southeast corner and, based on the map, if I walk 138 paces (more or less) on a heading of 266 degrees (more or less) I'll find the southwest corner. I'm confident I can place it within 15 or 20 feet which should be fine for determining where to cut wood. I also might ask our neighbor to the south if I can clean out his part of the woods. If he agrees, there's probably enough wood on the ground for a couple years of heating.

Speaking of our fence, it is in pretty bad shape. We've decided to get a quote on a professionally installed 6-wire high-tensile fence. The low-tensile aluminum fence I installed when we moved here in 2005 was never intended to be permanent. We've got two creek crossings and I want some strategically placed gates so I'll be sure to be seated when I hear the quote.

We made Colby yesterday. The Swiss we made a few weeks ago is plumping up which means the bacteria is working inside to make the eyes. The Monterey Jack from last weekend should have been waxed already but I won't get to it until tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment