Saturday 27 January 2007

Seed Starting Project

This is what my son, Keegan and I built with all that stuff I was hauling in my Versa a few weeks ago. Four shelves with a fluorescent light fixture hanging over each one for starting seeds and growing transplants. It's in the cellar - what the kids affectionately call "the dungeon."

The uprights are 2x4s and the shelves are 2x10s. I wanted to use 2x12s but they didn't have any 8-footers the day I bought the wood. I hung a shoplight over each shelf and wired up a 4-receptacle box on the right side. The box is powered by a wire with a male plug on the end so I can move this in the future if I want to.

We have an old computer desk in our greenhouse that we use for a potting bench. I'm going to bring it down to the cellar as well. My plan is to start our first seeds next weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment