Thursday 19 October 2006

We Must Be Doing Something Right

I was thinking today that I haven't posted a photo here for awhile. It's just as well, I guess, since our phone line is screwed up and the best connection we can get is 21.6 kpbs. I really love rural living but this just sucks.

Anyway, I picked up my lamb from the butcher, Border's Market, in Plymouth, Ohio today. The owners positively raved about our lamb:

"It really cut well."
"No waste."
"Those lambs were really filled out and rounded."
"Whatever you're doing, keep doing it."

When I said that they only ate grass and mother's milk, I think they were taken aback a little. Especially when I told them the ages of the three lambs. "They were just born this spring and weighed over 100 pounds?"

That's right. I smiled all the way home. And then I wondered when and how big agribusiness went so wrong in the country. I'll wonder that again when we eat this lamb and it tastes better than anything that ever came out of a feedlot. And when I consider the fact that it's loaded with omega-3s and CLA from being raised on grass without any grain.

Sometimes I feel a little guilty when I think about how well my family eats compared to the average American diet. It's not a matter of money. We spend much less than those who eat fast food and processed, pre-prepared meals. Rather, it's a matter of knowledge versus ignorance. If this blog can serve to educate one family about the benefits of a natural diet based on grass-fed meats and other minimally processed food, I will have accomplished something worthwhile.

No comments:

Post a Comment