Saturday 21 October 2006

Roast Leg of Lamb

Jennifer and Katie went to a bridal shower this afternoon, so the boys and I were in charge of dinner. Here's what we made and how we made it.

Roast Leg of Lamb with Plum Horseradish Sauce
Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes with Gravy
Baked Homegrown Delicata Squash with Pure Ohio Maple Syrup
Salad made from locally grown Butterhead Lettuce, Grape Tomatoes and homegrown Celery

Begin with a grass-fed leg of lamb brought to room temperature. Preheat oven to 325 and put a heavy skillet on high fire. Lightly mash a clove of garlic. You don't want to mince it - just mash it enough so it releases its mojo. The skin should peel off easily. Rub the garlic clove all over the meat. Liberally salt and pepper the outside and rub that in with your fingers - don't be shy. Sear the leg on all sides in the hot skillet, then put it on the rack in a roasting pan, fat side up.
This thermometer is one of my favorite kitchen gadgets. It lets the meat tell you when it's done. Insert the probe and set the temp alarm for 140-150 for rare to medium. Be sure to let the meat rest for 20-30 minutes, covered, before carving. The internal temperature will climb a few degrees during this time. Baking time is about 60-80 minutes at 325 degrees.

While the skillet is still hot, deglaze it. I used wine - the same that I served - 2004 McWilliams Hanwood Estate Shiraz from South East Australia. The label said it would pair well with roast lamb and I figured the Aussies would know better than anyone. They didn't let me down. Use about 1/4 -1/3 cup (60-80ml). I added about 1/2 cup (120 ml) of Damson Plum Jelly that I bought at Tamarack in Beckley, WV on our way home from vacation. This sauce was inspired by a blackberry horseradish sauce that I had at a wedding rehearsal dinner with beef tenderloin last month at Graystone Cellar in Columbus. I used plum beacuse I had the jelly. Use whatever strikes your fancy. I had to add a little water, as well, because the hot pan and wine got away from me a little bit. Then I had to cook it down for a long time. Add a small spoonful of horseradish. I started with a small amount figuring I could add more if the sauce needed it. I ended up adding about the same amount again. Reduce this sauce over medium heat until it's as thick as you want it.

The mashed potatoes are a pretty standard thing so I'm not going to describe how I made them. To roast the garlic, cut off the stem end of the entire bulb, exposing the cloves. Drizzle on some olive oil and sprinkle with salt. You can buy these cool little terra cotta garlic roasters but I just wrap them in foil. Ideal is 400 degrees for 40 minutes but I put them in the oven with the meat at 325 for an hour. The kids (and wife) prefer their mashed potatoes straight so I put the roasted garlic head on the table and mixed it in the potatotes on the plate.

For the gravy, I just made a standard roux with 2T lamb fat and 2T flour and whisked it in a skillet until it was nice and brown. We don't have any lamb stock (that will remedied as soon as we collect enough bones) so I added 1/2 cup (120ml) of water and 1/2 cup of milk. Whisk together and boil for 1 minute. Season to taste.

For the squash, just cut it in half and scoop out the seeds. Put it in a pan with a little water, skin side down, and add a pat of butter and a dollop of maple syrup in the seed cavity. Cover and bake for about an hour. I put it in the oven with the lamb at 325.

It's been two years since we last butchered lamb. I almost forgot how good it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment