Monday 5 June 2006

We're Still Here

Wow, it's been two weeks since I've posted - the longest I've gone since beginning this blog. Of course, this is a busy time of the year for farming and on top of that we've recently went on 10 hours of production per day at our shop in the city. I leave home about 5 a.m. and get home about 5:15 p.m. After dinner, chores and working on whatever projects are going on, I'm ready for bed by the time it gets dark. This leaves little time for blogging. Anyway, here's an update.

We lost a lamb last week to sickness. We are loathe to use antibiotics but this was a case where we needed to intervene sooner and failed to do so. According to Pat Coleby, large doses of injected vitamin C is a natural substitute for antibiotics. Unfortunately, in the U.S., any idiot can walk into a farm store and buy LA-200 or Pen G with no questions asked, but injectable vitamin C requires a veterinarian's prescription. And in the area where I live, one cannot just open the yellow pages to "holistic veterinarian" and find a vet to prescribe vitamin C as an antibiotic substitute.

The chicks are growing and the hens are still laying well. The hardiness of these chicks is amazing to me. When we raised hybrids, we were lucky to get 22 out of 25 survivors. All 50 of our White Rocks are alive and healthy at 7-1/2 weeks old.

The garden is way behind due to lots and lots of rain. I haven't looked at the forecast yet for this week but hopefully things will dry out.

I'll try not to go so long between posts again.

No comments:

Post a Comment