Thursday 2 November 2006

I've Been Tagged

Damn. I've managed to write this blog for almost 10 months without getting tagged for one of these memes. Oh well, it was a good run. Thanks, a lot Alison. (Just kidding.) Alison is an old friend from our high school days. So here goes:

1. One book that changed your life.
One book that I've never read (not yet at least) which changed my life is Silent Spring by Rachel Carson. My lifestyle today as an "organic" (in the best sense of the word, I hope) farmer has developed over the last 10 years and this classic book, written 10 years before I was born, helped to steer modern environmentalist farmers in the direction we're going. We need a Rachel Carson for the 21st century.

2. One book that you've read more than once.
I guess I'm a non-conformist because I'm going to cheat on this one, too. I haven't read this one a second time yet but it's in my "queue" for reading again soon. The book is Father Elijah by Michael O'Brien. It is an apocalyptic novel and O'Brien is a Roman Catholic. Spare me the Left Behind series and all that other Evangelical, Dispensationalist crap.

3. One book you'd want on a deserted island.
This is a cop-out, I suppose, but I'd have to have a Bible - AV or NKJV with Apocrypha, if that's possible in today's protestant Bible publishing climate.

4. One book that made you laugh.
For a good, light-hearted laugh, I like the Stephanie Plum series by Janet Evanovich. Better yet, get the audiobooks and let Lorelei King read them to you while traveling.

5. One book that made you cry
Hmmm...I can't remember one. Does that mean I'm an insensitive bastard or that I avoid books that are emotionally involving? A little bit of both, I suspect.

6. One book you wish you'd written.
The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress by Robert Heinlein. The best science fiction I've ever read. I wish I had the imagination to write Sci-Fi.

7. One book you wish had never been written.
See the last sentence of number 2 above.

8. One book you're currently reading.
The Omnivore's Dilemma by Michael Pollan. This book will change the way you think about food and how it arrives on your plate. Highly recommended for anyone who eats.

9. One book you've been meaning to read.
Landscape with Dragons also by Michael O'Brien (of #2 above). This book was recommended to me by my friend, Father Hollywood. It's about imagery and symbolism used in children's literature and how it has changed in postmodern times.

No comments:

Post a Comment